That Autumn Look | Part Two

Judging from the response and comments on That Autumn Look Part One, I would say people liked the concept. The second in the series draws inspiration from a business man on a rain soaked fall day. There is a conscious mix of English and American styles. The venerable Mackintosh outerwear is paired with the younger, more design focused Norwegian umbrella and galoshes from Swims. The leather bag and shoes add a subtle dose of color to the otherwise neutral tone. The complete list of products included can be found after the jump.

Rainy Day Business Man

Comments on “That Autumn Look | Part Two

Laguna Beach Tradon September 18, 2008 @ 12:35 PM:

Ah, this is (or was, when I worked in Manhattan and London) more my style. Delightful. Love the Southwick suit. As for the restof the the items, I wear or use variations. I think Church’s shoes look too clunky on me; I would go with C&J. And I certainly wouldn’t wear brogues to work, unless it was something in a creative field. Well done.

Michael Williamson September 18, 2008 @ 12:41 PM:

Yes, brogues to work or in the city (a gentleman never wears brown in town) is breaking the rules, but that is what makes it fun. LBT, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

willmsryanon September 18, 2008 @ 12:48 PM:

Love the photoshoping. Definitely a couple nice looks and another good idea for posts.

I think I prefer the first look for something I’d wear, but this one will work for me in a few years.

Laguna Beach Tradon September 18, 2008 @ 1:02 PM:

Michael, brown in town, no big deal IMO. And I hope I didn’t come across as offering suggestions; your blog is already awesome enough as it is, no improvements necessary!!

Michael Williamson September 18, 2008 @ 1:05 PM:

I appreciate your perspective LBT and welcome your comments…

Sam Jacobson September 18, 2008 @ 1:29 PM:

I sometimes wonder how I might dress if I worked for a company that required us to wear a jacket & tie. I think this combination would do it. But since I don’t, I’ll just stick to my khakis and J.Crew v-neck sweaters…

Ryanon September 18, 2008 @ 2:05 PM:

I wish there was J. Crew in Canada…

Easy and Elegant Lifeon September 18, 2008 @ 4:38 PM:

Excellent and fun. I like the magazine-like layout. I think I have blog envy!

I often wear brown in town. But I do try and match the colour of my watch strap with my shoes and other leather articles.

Heavy Tweed Jacketon September 18, 2008 @ 5:24 PM:

Galoshes are just what I need. I wore them years ago. The Autumn Look is a brilliant series. Cheers. HTJ.

chrison September 18, 2008 @ 6:09 PM:

Pretty much my perfect outfit. Have the coat- want everything else starting with the suit. Paper should have been the FT. Very,very good series.

Michael Williamson September 18, 2008 @ 6:12 PM:

Wouldn’t including the FT have made it too much like a Zegna advertisement?

I thought about it though, don’t get me wrong.

chrison September 18, 2008 @ 6:23 PM:

whoa- someone can very quickly reference backup material from March 2007. Yes, based on your evidence, it would have resembled a Zegna ad and the WSJ was the better choice. Nicely done.

RHRon September 18, 2008 @ 6:32 PM:

You’d also need to toss the IWC and drop a Patek in there to fit in with the Zegna-clad models. It looks very much like each of them is wearing a PP in addition to reading the FT. Just saying.

Mike Mertzon September 18, 2008 @ 6:54 PM:

Drop the IWC? Absolutely not! It’s the BEST black face timepiece out there.

e.b. strongon September 18, 2008 @ 8:42 PM:

I love the irony of the wall street journal in these times…

Ryan Chapmanon September 19, 2008 @ 12:02 AM:

If you do look #3, how about the perfect outfit for work uptown to the long happy hour downtown?

Joeon September 19, 2008 @ 9:15 AM:

The look is kind of Don Draper of Mad Men updated for the new millennium.

Honestly Michael, I think you have a book idea here. Men are pretty visual and your inspiration boards are a perfect learning tool; “This is your work look…this is your weekend look…” Unlike driving, most guys like directions when it comes to dressing!

joanna goddardon September 19, 2008 @ 12:55 PM:

loving this! loving the galoshes.

i second the book idea.

The Dapper Alchemiston September 19, 2008 @ 5:51 PM:

Fantastic post! I like the fact that you put in a Mac as opposed to a trench coat. I just wrote a post on the Mackintosh that you may enjoy:

Put my vote in for the book idea.

AMFon September 22, 2008 @ 10:46 AM:

i love the IWC. it’s simple and much cooler than a patek.

Vadim Kon August 21, 2009 @ 10:30 AM:

I really need to make myself start wearing galoshes in that nasty weather. It will ruin my street cred though.