Made in the United States of America.

My friends at Southwick sent me this great looking tote bag yesterday. My bag obsessions have been detailed here before — so no need to go there. The design is fairly innocuous until you flip it over and you see the giant “Made in the United States of America.” I love the way the bag is printed underneath the straps. I’m happy to see some buzz around the brand and might have to make a special trip to check out Southwick at Cuffs (one of my all time favorite men’s stores) this summer when I am back home. I guess I could shop for Southwick here in NYC, but what fun would that be.

Comments on “Made in the United States of America.

TINTINon June 5, 2008 @ 5:15 PM:

That’s a great idea for the bag. And that’s a great store. In Ohio? Outside Cleveland? Well, I remember Cleveland had a Barneys before Chicago did.

tripreedon June 5, 2008 @ 6:59 PM:

While I will certainly agree that a number of the bags that you have blogged about before are pretty sweet bags, I have to admit to wondering at what point does a cool bag become a man-purse? Does it have something to do with the size, the shape, the way it’s carried, the contents?

joanna goddardon June 5, 2008 @ 9:37 PM:

love the typography here.

Laguna Beach Tradon June 6, 2008 @ 1:16 PM:

Thanks for the post. Long-time Southwick customer here. In fact I just ordered a Southwick MTM suit in grey with cranberry red lining and side vents. What I wouldn’t give for a Southwick bag! I’ll add it to the list.

Michael Williamson June 6, 2008 @ 1:26 PM:

Dear Tripreed,

I think it is all a state of mind. If you are carrying a womens bag, that my friend, is a man-purse. To your point, the contents do play a factor in the distinction. The following things will place you squarely in the world of the man-bag: tools, a zippo, binoculars, a thermos, books by Hemingway, a pen and note pad, a flask, plaid things, fishing gear, pocket knife, etc.

Regards,
    A Continuous Lean

Easy and Elegant Lifeon June 6, 2008 @ 3:27 PM:

My favourite winter suit is a three piece, glen check Southwick. It really is a beautiful garment. I’m glad to hear that there is “buzz” building around such a long-standing and excellent product.

elizabethon June 10, 2008 @ 7:34 PM:

dear michael williams,

i want this bag, i want it. hand it over.

WARMEST regards,